Header Image for Llansantffraid Glyn Ceiriog CC

About The Area/Am yr ardal

Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog, or simply Glyn Ceiriog, is a former slate mining village in Wrexham County Borough in Wales. It lies on the River Ceiriog and B4500 road, five miles west of Chirk and three miles south of Llangollen.

Glyn Ceiriog was once the home of extensive slate quarries and the Glyn Valley Tramway was built to take the slate to a wharf on the Shropshire Union Canal and later to interchange sidings with the Great Western Railway line from Chester to Shrewsbury.

Bus services operate to Llangollen via Chirk and to Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog on service 64. Infrequent services on route 65 connect the village to Wrexham via Ruabon. Rail services are available from Chirk, 5 miles away.

Plas Nantyr
Four miles west of Glyn Ceiriog is the country house and estate of Plas Nantyr. It forms part of the ancient manor of Cynlaeth Owen which Owain Glyndwr inherited from his father in the late 14th century. In the 19th century, the estate was owned by Mr Tyrwhitt, a barrister and the Recorder of Chester. Following Mr Tyrwhitt's death in 1836 his family emigrated to Canada and named the place where they settled Nantyr. At his death the Estate was sold to the Myddleton-Biddulphs of Chirk Castle, from whom it was bought by Sir Thomas Storey in 1892.

Notable residents
A number of Welsh literary figures have lived in or near Glyn Ceiriog in the past. The 15th century Welsh poet Guto'r Glyn (1435 - 1493) is associated with Glyn Ceiriog. The 17th century Welsh poet Huw Morus (Eos Ceiriog) (1622 - 1709) was born, and lived, near Glyn Ceiriog. The 19th century Eisteddfod-winning poet and lexographer, Rev. Robert Elis (Cynddelw) (1812 - 1875) was a Baptist minister at Glyn Ceiriog Independent Welsh Baptist Chapel, Seion, from 1838-1840.
The Welsh novelist Islwyn Ffowc Elis spent most of his childhood on a farm near Glyn Ceiriog, although he was born in Wrexham. Additionally, Lancelot Hogben, an experimental zoologist and medical statistician, lived there from the late 1950s until his death.

Information taken from Wikipedia.com